Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Daily Guidance

---- DAILY ENCOURAGEMENT ----
"Since my youth, I have engraved in my heart countless meaningful passages that I have come across in my readings. I have deepened my real-life learning by earnestly pondering works of literature and world events. It is important to read good books and learn from wise and insightful individuals. Such efforts are vital if we are to truly fulfil our mission amid the often harsh realities of society.
"The Japanese novelist Shugoro Yamamoto (pen name of Satomu Shimizu,1903-67) wrote: 'A battle is a living thing, and victory or defeat is not known until the decisive moment. Being confident of victory is what decides victory. Those who are convinced they will triumph, do.' In the old days, everyone memorized famous passages like this that offer important lessons, even political leaders and educators would cite them."
--- DAILY GOSHO ---
"I am praying that, no matter how troubled the times may become, the Lotus Sutra and the ten demon daughters will protect all of you, praying as earnestly as though to produce fire from damp wood, or to obtain water from parched ground."
(On Rebuking Slander of the Law and Eradicating Sins - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 444)

No comments: