Monday, November 10, 2008

Daily Guidance

---- DAILY ENCOURAGEMENT ----
"The Japanese painter Shoen Uemura (1875-1949). One of the few female painters of that period, Uemura is famous for her refined and elegant paintings wrote:
"'I cannot remember all the times that in tears I gritted my teeth and repressed my anger [at the most outrageous discriminatory treatment in the male-dominated world of art], all the while vowing that I would someday make them sit up and pay attention.' ***"'Just as the ship of life may be buffeted by wind and rain and sometimes list almost to the point of sinking, I, too, have experienced various bitter trials and hardships.'***"'Many times I suffered so terribly that I seriously thought that I'd be better off dead. But when you repeatedly undergo experiences of this kind,you become incredibly strong.'
"Real happiness is not the absence of any problems, difficulties, or suffering. As Nichiren Daishonin writes, difficulties are to be regarded as peace and comfort (cf. OTT, 115). Whenever you find yourself beset by some new harsh trial, adopt a positive attitude and face it bravely as an opportunity to strengthen yourself. This is the Soka Gakkai spirit. It is a way of life that embodies the very essence of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism.This fighting spirit, this willingness to take on a new challenge, is the key to true happiness, victory, and fulfilment."
--- DAILY GOSHO ---
"Therefore, those who become Nichiren's disciples and lay believers should realise the profound karmic relationship they share with him and spread the Lotus Sutra as he does. Being known as a votary of the Lotus Sutra is a bitter, yet unavoidable destiny."
(Letter to Jakunichi-bo - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 994)

No comments: