Friday, July 03, 2009

Daily Guidance

---- DAILY ENCOURAGEMENT ----
"It was in the month of June-- in 1994, 15 years ago this year-- that I received an honorary doctorate from Scotland's renowned University of Glasgow. It was a very solemn ceremony, and I'll never forget how, during his remarks, Dr. J. Forbes Munro, the then university Clerk of Senate, read aloud my poem, 'The Waterfall':

Like the waterfall, fierce,
like the waterfall, unflagging,
like the waterfall, unfearing,
like the waterfall, merrily,
like the waterfall, proudly--
a man should have the bearing of a king.

"With the royal bearing of champions described in this poem, may you be the kind of people whom others praise as having made a difference-- for instance, whose presence helped them move their lives in a positive direction, or was vital in the success of an activity, or was pivotal in building a more solid organisation."


--- DAILY GOSHO ---
"It has been twenty or more years now since I found myself in that situation and began the great battle. Not once have I thought of retreat."

(The Great Battle - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 465)

No comments: