Monday, July 28, 2008

Daily Guidance

---DAILY ENCOURAGEMENT---
The aim of the Soka Gakkai is something more powerful and profound than secular power; it is the spreading of the principles of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism, which is the key to building happiness and peace for all humankind. Buddhism expounds the Law of life, which is of a completely different dimension than the laws of the land and secular authority.
I learned the principles of the Daishonin's Buddhism from Mr. Toda. He personally instructed me, for instance, in the difficult Gosho, "The Entity of the Mystic Law"(WND-1, 417ff). He taught and trained me a little every morning, and on Sundays as well. Sometimes he'd ask questions, and I'd have to answer. When we completed our study of this writing, Mr. Toda gave me a certificate indicating that I had completed this course of instruction under him. This certificate was just a simple piece of paper, but I regarded it as one of my most precious treasures. I believed that it would become a symbol of the highest intellectual excellence, and I'm sure Mr. Toda had the same conviction. The Buddhist Law is truly wondrous in its workings, and now I have been privileged to receive numerous academic honors from around the globe. In contrast, those who have scorned certificates or awards bestowed on them in the realm of kosen-rufu have all ended up miserable. As the Daishonin writes: "It is the heart that is important" (WND-1, 1000).
--- DAILY GOSHO ---
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, no matter what happens."
(Happiness in This World - The Writings of NichirenDaishonin, Vol.1, page 681)

No comments: